Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Games of the Week: Week 9

Better late than never I guess. Most of this is out already but I've been busy and the NHL trade deadline required my full attention for twelve hours today.

So let's consider this the abridged version of the Games of the Week.

X360: Major League Baseball 2K9, SBK: Superbike World Championship, Halo Wars, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X., Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

PS3: Major League Baseball 2K9, MLB 09: The Show, SBK: Superbike World Championship, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X., Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

Wii: We Ski & Snowboard, Major League Baseball 2K9, Sonic and the Black Knight, Grey's Anatomy

PSP: Phantasy Star Portable, MLB 09: The Show, SBK: Superbike World Championship

DS: Major League Baseball 2K9, Littlest Pet Shop: Spring, SpongeBob vs. The Big One: Beach Party Cook-Off, Grey's Anatomy

PS2: Tomb Raider Underworld, Major League Baseball 2K9, King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match

So Eat Lead was pushed back to this week. Which was enough to allow me some time to get my head straight and skip it. Apparently its not very good.

I downloaded the Halo Wars demo and never played it. Even if 2008 was the year I got into RTS games I just can't get excited for mawr Haloz. And I even actually like the series, believe it or not. I think I may try it tonight after Buffalo and Montreal.

Ditto goes for HAWX. It's been sitting on my Harddrive for a bit on two sysytems and I haven't gotten around to it. Again I'll probably boot it up after Buffalo and Montreal.

Last year MLB The Show was one of the biggest surprises and now its definitely not sneaking up anyone but it looks like, from early reviews, that this year's offering knocks another grand slam and actually improves on the formula. Also on the baseball circuit is 2k9 but judging from last year and the demo (which I actually did play) then I'd stay away. If you only own a 360 and you're a baseball fan....I'm sorry but you're going to have to buy a PS3.

Like everyone else I'm cautious on Sonic and the Black Knight. It looks good but so did Secret Rings and Unleashed. I liked Unleashed but it didn't come close to saving Sonic. Reviews aren't everything but IGN's 3.9 awarded to Black Knight makes one cringe.

Tempted to get Phantasy Star Portable but I'm happy with my PSP library right now (seriously get LocoRoco 2 and DJ Max Fever) and with Phantasy Star Zero on the way for the DS in a couple months, I think I'll pass.

But of course KoF '98 is definitely the buy this week. I was sadden that the Orochi Saga collection didn't have the Dreamcast port of KoF '98 which was the far superior version by a Texas mile. I guess because they knew I'd pay separate just for this version. Plus there's a sneak peak look at KoF XII on the disc.

Outside of the Show and KoF I'm probably not picking up anything this week but that's good I'm still working on SFIV and Star Ocean. What's everyone else picking up on the week?


No comments: